Friday, April 17, 2009

Something's Happening!

Grandma-to-be has just put on her "Mom" hat again. It's 4:30 in the morning. Esperanza awakened us at 3:00 saying she was having contractions. I got up and sat with her, timing them for about an hour. I was amazed: They were exactly 10 minutes apart. It got to the point that I could be looking at the clock and predict that she would have another contraction. Sure enough--at the 10 minute marker, she would tell me another one was starting!

"According to the book," we are also supposed to keep track of how long the contractions last and whether they are getting "stronger." Each contraction was definitely getting longer--they started out about a minute in length and the last one we timed was nearly 3 minutes. But Esperanza says they are not getting stronger and she is able to sleep (more like "doze") in between each one.

Mom, on the other hand, cannot sleep. So, I have collected some things we'd be taking to the hospital (e.g. the camera!) and plan to check on Esperanza again in a little while. Since I seem to be trying to contain excitement, I doubt I'd sleep right now anyway. It seems a good time to make note of this experience of what the books call "pre-labor."

Esperanza has a doctor's appointment at 10:15 this morning, so we should learn a bit more about the stage of her labor then--if we're not already at the hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment